Alongside the M1 MacBook Air, Apple additionally introduced the M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional. Just like the Air refresh, this one too solely focuses on an inner overhaul with no design adjustments. If you’re questioning how the brand new M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional is healthier than the Intel-based 13-inch MacBook Professional, learn our comparability beneath.
Barring the swap to the M1 chip and the enhancements that it brings to the desk, the brand new 13-inch MacBook Professional from Apple is strictly the identical because the Intel mannequin that it replaces. This implies the show nonetheless has enormous bezels surrounding it and the machine has the identical weight and dimensions because the outgoing mannequin.
M1 13-inch MacBook Professional vs Intel 13-inch MacBook Professional Comparability
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): 0.61-inch x 11.97-inch x 8.36-inch, 1.4 kg
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: 0.61-inch x 11.97-inch x 8.36-inch, 1.4 kg
As talked about earlier, the M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional has the identical dimensions because the Intel-based MacBook Professional. There’s no change in its dimension or weight regardless of the inner swap.
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): 13.3-inch LED-backlit show, Retina Show, 2560 x 1600, 500 nits, Huge Colour, True Tone
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: 13.3-inch LED-backlit show, Retina Show, 2560 x 1600, 500 nits, Huge Colour, True Tone
The M1 and the Intel-based 13-inch MacBook Professional have the identical 13.3-inch Retina Show with 500-nit brightness. There’s no distinction within the panel right here and when you have been anticipating the brand new M1-based MacBook Professional to have a show with slimmer bezels, then sadly that’s not the case.
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): eighth gen. quad-core Intel CPUs working at as much as 1.7GHz
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU within the base mannequin, 8-core in high-end, 16-core Neural engine
The M1 Apple chip has an octa-core CPU whereas the Intel-based 13-inch MacBook Professional had a quad-core CPU. The M1 chip additionally options an 8-core GPU and a 16-core Neural engine thereby giving it a serious efficiency uplift over Intel CPUs in AI and ML-specific duties.
Under are some efficiency claims made by Apple whereas unveiling the 13-inch MacBook Professional:
- Construct code in Xcode as much as 2.8x quicker.
- Render a fancy 3D title in Closing Lower Professional as much as 5.9x quicker.
- Fluidly design intricate recreation scenes in Unity Editor as much as 3.5x quicker.
- Carry out ML duties in Create ML as much as 11x quicker.
- Separate out beats, instrumentals, and vocal tracks from a recording in actual time in djay Professional AI, due to the wonderful efficiency of the Neural Engine.
- Play again full-quality, 8K ProRes video in DaVinci Resolve with out dropping a single body.
- Compile 4 occasions as a lot code on a single cost, due to the game-changing efficiency per watt of the M1 chip.
The brand new M1 chip is miles forward of some other CPU out there when it comes to energy in addition to effectivity.
One factor that’s essential to notice right here is that Apple continues to supply the 13-inch MacBook Professional variants with tenth gen Intel CPUs. This means that the higher-end 13-inch MacBook Professional may supply higher peak efficiency or simply be higher in chosen situations which the M1-based MacBook Professional won’t be capable of match in its present type.
Connectivity and Ports
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 5.0, 2x USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, 2x Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
The brand new M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional options quicker Wi-Fi 6 assist. It additionally comes with USB 4 ports, although the full quantity nonetheless stays a paltry two. One bummer with the brand new M1 MacBook Professional is that it doesn’t assist eGPU which the Intel-based 13-inch MacBook Professional does.
RAM & Storage
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): As much as 16GB RAM, As much as 2TB SSD
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: As much as 16GB RAM, As much as 2TB SSD
The 13-inch Intel-based and the M1 MacBook Professional each include as much as 16GB RAM and as much as 2TB storage. The bottom mannequin on each machines include 8GB RAM and 256GB storage. The RAM is soldered on each fashions so one has to improve the RAM instantly from Apple itself whereas getting the machine.
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): 58.2wH battery, As much as 10 hours of wi-fi internet looking, As much as 10 hours of Apple TV film playback
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: 58.2wH battery, As much as 17 hours of wi-fi internet looking, As much as 20 hours of Apple TV app film playback
The M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional gives 7 hours longer internet looking and double the film playback time. When it comes to battery life, the M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional is a large leap over the Intel variations. There’s principally no comparability between the 2 variants right here.
- 13-inch MacBook Professional (Intel): Begins from $1,299
- 13-inch M1 MacBook Professional: Begins from $1,299
The brand new 13-inch MacBook Professional with the M1 chip continues to hold the identical beginning price ticket of $1,299. Apart from the bottom mannequin, Apple can also be promoting one other variant for $1,499 which comes with 512GB storage, although the efficiency on each variants is similar.
If you have already got a 13-inch MacBook Professional that you simply bought earlier this 12 months, then there’s no cause to improve to the M1-based 13-inch MacBook Professional. Nevertheless, if you’re on the lookout for a brand new 13-inch MacBook Professional, the M1-based variant is a no brainer.